Hlubčická 20, Krnov
The reconstruction work on the Flemmich Villa, the architectural jewel of Krnov in the district of Bruntál, has finally been completed, and, for the first time in its history, it is now open to visitors. The residence is situated in a beautiful garden and is now used as a cultural centre, hosting a range of exhibitions and other cultural events.
The villa is named after its original owner, the textile manufacturer Theodor Flemmich. Theodor Flemmich had the villa built as a family home in 1914. The neo-Classic residence was built according to the plans of the Viennese architect Otto Prutscher. The ground floor, with its winter garden, entrance hall, gentlemen’s room and hunter’s trophy room, was used for social purposes. The first floor served as the private quarters of the owner’s family. Utility rooms, such as the kitchen and laundry, were situated in the basement.
The former family estate of the well-known Krnov factory owner Theodor Flemmich is be the main exhibit of a museum to be created here, together with an exhibition of individualistic modernist art.
Theodor Flemmich’s family lived in the villa until it was nationalized. For the next three years, the town of Krnov accommodated eight families in the villa and then, between 1951 and 2003, the entire complex of buildings, together with the garden, served as an orphanage. Subsequently, the villa became the property of the town of Krnov.
Flemmich Villa – The Town Museum
The museum is accessible every day except Mondays from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. throughout the year.
The villa offers a wheelchair access for exhibitions held on ground floor.
You may organize your guided tour by an advance reservation with a museum manager, Mrs. Ivana Zajicova.
Mgr. Ivana Zajicova – a museum manager, a collection administrator
MIKS – Mestske muzeum, namesti Miru 14, 794 01 Krnov
tel.: +420 776 593 989
Tours, guides – the list of Krnov monuments, which you can visit during the peak tourist season or throughout the year.
Flemmich Villa is a real estate cultural monument, which was transferred to Krnov town for free, provided that the building will not be used for commercial purposes. Theodor Flemmich, a local company owner, had the villa built. It was designed by a Vienna architect Otto Prutscher in 1914. The villa is a neoclassical residence, set in a beautiful garden on the bank of Opava River. Over the years, the villa has attracted many tourists who took opportunity to visit and see this architectural gem. As a result of war events during and after World War II, the most of interiors were damaged or embezzled. Fortunately, important building features and elements remained preserved.
At present, the villa may offer a wooden panelling of the staircase hall with a massive rail bar, richly carved with bird motifs or stained glass windows of zodiac symbols, dividing the hall from the winter garden. There are also painted wooden ceilings or other stained glass windows with heraldic symbols of Krnov town and historical Silesia.
Click Here to have a virtual tour of the villa and its close surroundings.
At present, the villa is used for periodical exhibitions, cultural and educational events. It is the seat of Krnov Town Museum.